Study-related Questions


Are there any tuition fees?

Currently there are no tuition fees at Kiel University. However, there is a semester fee of 120.0€ each semester. These contributions are subject to change.

Do I have to attend classes?

In most cases you are not obliged to attend lecture modules and the associated tutorial, although attendance is highly recommended. In the seminar modules, however, attendance is compulsory.

Do I have to write all exams at the end of the lecture period?

At Kiel University there are two examination periods for each semester. The first examination period takes place at the end of the respective semester; the re-examination takes place in the examination period before or shortly after the beginning of the following semester. Students having failed the first examination are not obliged to take the re-examination immediately. However, it is also possible to take a re-examination without having taken the examination at the end of the foregoing semester. Thus, you can split your examinations over the two examination periods.

Where do I find detailed information on the different courses?

Detailed information can be found in the module manual. Once the course has started most modules offer additional information and slides on OLAT  once you have registered for the course. The Department for Statistics and Econometrics, however, publishes their information on their homepage.

How do I obtain my schedule for the semester?

There is no binding schedule provided by the Department of Economics. Students are asked to decide for themselves which courses to take in order to obtain the necessary amount of credits in the respective modules and sections to finish their Master’s programme. Short term information on modules with dates and time can be found on UnivIS. Although there is no binding order of courses, please consider that not all courses are offered in each semester and thus, checking the outlook on offered courses in the following semesters found on the homepage can be very helpful when creating your schedule.

Can course dates stated in UnivIS be changed?

Dates of different modules are mostly fixed. You might approach the respective lecturers and tutors before the first meeting starts or in the first meeting whether there is a possibility to change dates. However, rescheduling might be difficult considering the number of students involved and the schedule of the lecturer/tutor.

Where do I find lecture material?

Most economic courses will provide slides and other information in OLAT. You have to register for most courses to access all information. However, this registration does not imply that you have to take an exam in this course. The Department of Statistics and Econometrics will provide most of the information in the teaching section of their homepage. For accessing the material a password is needed which will be provided in the first lecture.  

Where do I register for the exams?

You have to register for all examinations (seminar modules as well) in HisQis. For more information on how to register see the study guide for your Master’s  programme.

Do I have to register for Seminars in advance?

Starting winter term 17/18 registration for Master Seminars is only possible via our central platform OLAT. Further information regarding procedure and deadlines can be found here.

If I failed one exam, do I need to take the re-examination?

Not unless it is a mandatory lecture module. Otherwise you can change modules as long as you obtain sufficient credits from other courses.

What happens if I have not passed an exam for the third time?

A module examination is generally regarded as failed when the examination has not been passed for the third time. Starting winter semester 2014/2015 no hardship cases apply anymore. It is possible to use a wild card (Joker) for two exams which have not been passed for the third time. However, a further repetition after using the wild card is not possible and the module examination is regarded as failed.

If you failed a compulsory module for the third time (or the fourth when using the wild card), you necessarily fail your Master’s degree examination. If you failed an optional module for the third time (or the  fourth time when using the wild card), this does not necessarily mean that you fail your Master’s degree examination. However, you will fail your Master’s degree examination if all eligible options were failed for the third time as well.

Can I change the module once I have passed some lectures or seminars in the module (this refers to the old system)?

Yes, you can change the module as long as you have not yet finished the module. As soon as you have finished the module the grades will be part of your final grade.

Which minors are taught in English?

Only the minors in Empirical Economics and Economics are taught in English.

What happens if I have obtained more than the necessary credits for the minor subject?

All obtained ECTS necessary for completing the minor subject will be granted. The grade of the minor will be calculated by ECTS-weighted grades of all lectures while the section contributes 10/120 to the overall grade in the new system and 14/120 in the old system. However, it is not possible to achieve additional ECTS to enhance your average grade.

Can I take one course of Economics and one of Empirical Economics for the minor?

No, this is not possible. You either need to choose courses in Economics or Empirical Economics.           

Regarding the minor subject in Economics, which courses do I have to attend?

If studying according to the old system you need to choose one module and pass 2 lectures (one with 4  ECTS and one with 6 ECTS) as well as one seminar in the respective module. In the new system you have to pass two modules in Economics. Whether the module is a lecture or a seminar module is not of importance.

How are the total points of each module calculated?

The grades of the courses which complete the module first will be considered. So once there are enough credits to complete the module the grade will be calculated. It is not possible to pick the best grades. If, however, you obtain, as e.g. in the minor subject in Empirical Economics, more than the necessary 14 ECTS (old system) from the necessary courses the final grade will be calculated by ECTS-weighted grades of all lectures while the section contributes 14/120  to the overall grade in the old system.

Can I change into the other Master programmes?

Yes, after the re-registration period a change of programmes is possible until the end of the current semester (30th of September for the winter term and the 31st of March for the summer term). For changing programmes, the necessary request for a change of the degree programme, the Leporello, a copy of the school leaving certificate for higher education (e.g. Abitur), a transcript stating all passed lectures at Kiel University and a request for examination of eligibility have to be submitted to the student service or the international center (check admission procedure above for responsible institution). In order to check eligibility criteria please refer to your student guide with a printed version of the request for examination of eligibility and a transcript of records listing all passed lectures and seminar modules from your bachelor’s degree. Further information can be found at:

Where do I obtain the transcript of records?

You can obtain a transcript of records from the examination office. Please consider, that only one transcript of records is issued per semester.