About the faculty

The tradition of the Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences goes right back to the beginning of Kiel University. Nikolaus Martini (1632 – 1713) was a Professor of Political Philosophy and one of the 17 founding professors in 1665. In 1775 the range of disciplines at the university was initially extended by adding a professorship in Economics and Cameral Science (known today as Financial Science). Originally situated in the Faculty of Legal and Political Science, the disciplines of Economics and Social Sciences were ultimately transferred to an independent Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences in 1969.

The faculty enjoys a fabulous reputation amongst other faculties for business, economics and social sciences. Corresponding rankings regularly place professors in Kiel or professors who studied and trained in Kiel among the best. The faculty performs networked, interdisciplinary research as a matter of course.

The faculty is particularly involved with the Cluster of Excellence Future Ocean, the Graduate School Human Development in Landscapes, the Gustav-Radbruch-Network for Environmental Philosophy and Ethics and at the Science Campus "Kiel Centre for Globalization"

Cooperation with the research institutes situated in Kiel is particularly important: the Kiel Institute for the World Economy and the German National Library of Economics (ZBW) – Leibniz Information Centre for Economics  - both of which are associated institutes of Kiel University.